What Businesses Need Liability Insurance in Michigan?

There are a myriad of costs that go into starting and running a small business. When it comes to investing in insurance, you might be wondering if you can operate without it. However, all business owners in Michigan should consider liability insurance to protect against risks associated with your property, employees, and daily operations. Running it without insurance could jeopardize the future of your business.

Liability Insurance Requirements in Michigan

State laws will dictate which business insurance coverage you need. There are two main liability insurance policies in Michigan that are required by law:

 – Workers’ Compensation: Michigan state law requires all public employers to carry workers’ compensation. It is also required of private employers with one or more full-time employees, or three or more employees of any status. Workers’ comp covers medical bills for work-related injuries and illnesses, and provides disability benefits.

 – Commercial Auto Insurance: All business-owned vehicles in Michigan must be covered by commercial auto insurance. This policy covers the cost of accidents involving work vehicles. Michigan requires both bodily injury coverage and personal injury protection. Personal vehicles driven for work purposes should also be covered.

Other types of liability insurance policies businesses in Michigan should consider include general liability, professional liability, cyber liability, and business owner’s policy. The cost of your insurance will depend on the type of business you run, the unique exposures faced in your industry, and the size and location of your business.

Liability Insurance Solutions in Michigan

Protect your business and your employees with liability insurance. With 40+ years of proven experience, CTG Insurance delivers personalized solutions tailored to your unique needs, risks, and budget. Speak to one of our experienced advisors to find the right insurance policy for you.

Aimee Nanney
Have questions? We’re here to help.

Send me an email to or call/text our office at (810) 695-0096.


Scroll to Top